September 5, 2010

restless


I love to rest. In fact, I took a nap today and I really think they may be the best things in the world. In the middle of the day when there are lots of other things that should get done, a nap lets you get away from it all and just rest.

But lately I've also been feeling restless. You know, that sense of worry that something you're so planning on, may not go the way you're hoping? Or, constantly wishing that some things you have were just newer/cleaner/bigger/smaller/better? It's also been a little bit of seeing things and suddenly needing them--maybe something for the house or for my closet. Altogether, my mind has been a bit restless.

So when I heard a song the other day about being restless I really listened. Actually, I'm not sure I had realized this about myself until one of the lyrics really hit me. Still my heart. Yes, that's what I need! I need my heart to be still--to stop longing for things and worrying. Then the chorus continues with I am restless until I rest in You.

So, I've been thinking about what it means to rest in God. I think I know how it feels because I have felt the peace of God many times in my life. The calmness of just being with someone you love. The sense of relief when a burden has been lifted off your shoulders. A strange sense of peace in an otherwise difficult time. A good nap. This is what it feels like when we're resting in God. But mostly, I've been thinking about how to get there.

Saint Augustine wrote "Our hearts are restless until they rest in thee O Lord." Here's what I'm going to try to remember when seeking a restful heart.

Be content with what you have. How many times are we reminded of how much we have when we hear about people in other countries, or even in our own with so many struggles? I need to be content, maintaining a constant sense of awe and wonder with all the blessings in life.

You have enough. You are loved. Similarly, whenever I feel like what I have is not enough, or that I myself am not good enough, I am encouraged that God knows me and loves me. He will always give me enough.

You are not in control. I find the most peace when I stop trying to be in control. When I know I'm not in control, I worry less.

Be still, pray, and listen. There's a part in the song that says, "you are the keeper of my heart." I love this. When I pray and listen for God, I am filled with calmness, and confidence about how to live and act in life.

I hope to keep these things in mind this week, and in the future when I'm feeling restless. Here's the song I heard on the radio (an acoustic version I think is really pretty) and the lyrics too. :)

Restless by Audrey Assad

You dwell in the songs that we are singing
Rising to the Heavens
Rising to Your heart
Our praises filling up the spaces
In between our frailty and everything You are
You are the keeper of my heart

And I’m restless
I’m restless
‘Til I rest in You
(Oh God I wanna rest in You)

Oh speak now for my soul is listening
Say that You have saved me
Whisper in the dark
‘Cause I know You’re more than my salvation
Without You I am hopeless
Tell me who You are
You are the keeper of my heart

Still my heart
Hold me close
Let me hear a still small voice
Let it grow
Let it rise
Into a shout
Into a cry

I am restless until I rest in You


1 comment:

  1. i loved reading your thoughts on all of this...i have made a small commitment to not buy anything "non-extinguishable" or new for the month of september unless it's a gift...i have found some serious freedom by not feeling like "things" are an option for me...i know it's just the 6th..but i'm kind of looking forward to doing this the entire month...and i'm sure it will only get harder as i'm going to LA this month!

    Wes loved the youtube video..he was singing "restless" ;)

    ReplyDelete